We all know March is Women’s History Month and today, March 8th, 2018, we’re celebrating International Women’s Day (YAY!). But do you know why we’re celebrating and the history behind the day? We put together this quick and simple guide for what you need to know, because knowledge really is power and together, we will continue to be stronger.
- International Women’s Day celebrates the achievements, accomplishments & struggles of women
- This years theme is #PressForProgress
- March 8, 1909 was the 1st ever International Women’s Day, to honor the women protesting the working conditions in the 1908 garment women’s strike in New York
- International Women’s Day was officially recognized as a holiday by the UN in 1975
- In 2011 Obama declared March as Women’s History Month
International Women’s Day is important for so many reasons, here’s just a few:
- The World Economic Forum found that it will take 217 years to close the gender gap
- The MeToo movement, to support survivors and stand up to sexual assault
- The TimesUp movement, against sexual assault, harassment & inequality in the workplace
This past weekend, in early celebration, thousands of people marched in London, Los Angeles and more. Our founder, Meesen, is hosting a International Women’s Day Ladies Lunch in Kuala Lumpur to celebrate. There is also an International Women’s Strike in NYC today. Check out the International Women’s Day website to find events near you.
On the brink of this past monumental year for women’s rights, 2018 was declared the year of the woman and we think they’re onto something.
So to honor this important day we’re sharing a Special Gift with you! We’ll be sharing it in our Facebook community. If you’re not a member yet, click here to join for free! And learn more about Behere here.