We’re firm believers that everyone should solo travel at least once in their life. Not only are there amazing benefits – like moving at your own pace – but it also teaches you a lot about yourself and the world. There’s so many reasons you should travel on your own, so we’ve shared our top reasons you should travel solo.
You get to go at your own pace.
- Arguably the best part of solo travel is that you get to decide where you want to go, when you want to go. Wake up not feeling like dealing with crowds? Take a rest day and head to a park or the beach with your fav book or podcast. Want to check out a unique market or museum? No one will tell you they don’t want to. It’s the best way to see new places, on your own terms.
It pushes you out of your comfort zone.
- When you travel with someone else, you always have a friend to rely on or talk to. But when you’re on your own, you have to do the navigating, make the decisions and push yourself to talk to others. You’ll quickly get comfortable with feeling uncomfortable, and you’ll realize it’s not actually that scary striking up a conversation with someone. Bring a journal or write notes on your phone about your trip and you’ll realize all the growing you’re doing.
You become more independent.
- Going places on your own is a surefire way to become more independent. You are forced to figure out where you’re going, how to get there and what to do, on your own. It shows you just how resilient and smart you are and gives you a much needed kick, if you’re one to let others figure things out.
You can be more spontaneous.
- Get a sudden invite to join a new friend for dinner or a concert? Great, go for it! Meet a local and get invited to a local cultural event or party? Dive in! Hear about a super interesting or unique retreat or weekend event? Get on a bus, train or plane and go! The possibilities are endless when you have no one else’s opinions to consider.
It leads to self-discovery and self-love.
- Traveling on your own gives you lots of ‘me time’ which ends up helping you figure out ‘you’. You better understand yourself – what you want and need – when you’re on your own and outside of your normal environment. It also gives you time to appreciate you. Spend some quality time with yourself; exercise, walk, try new foods, slow down and give yourself some love.
It gives you more freedom.
- Traveling solo gives you all the freedom when it comes to where you’re going, when you’re going, how long you’re going and more. It means you can do nothing all day, or can fill your days as you desire. You can also eat where you want, when you want, or choose to cook all your meals. One thing we will say is that when you’re planning your trip, give yourself time. So often people try to cram in as much as possible in quick trips and end up feeling more burnt out than before they started. That’s why Behere bookings are for 30 days or more, to give you time to really sink into the new city, see it, take side trips and still have a place to call ‘home’.
You make more meaningful connections and friendships
- When you’re traveling with others, you’re often closed off from new people without realizing it. But when you’re on your own, you don’t have your travel companions to talk to, so you’re forced to make friends – or hang on your own. If you’re shy, a great way to meet people is going to different fitness studios (plus you’ll keep a routine) or meetups to meet people with similar interests. Or if you’re working while traveling, we always recommend coworking spaces and they’re a great place to meet people, attend events and more. At Behere we also have city hosts in each location, which is a local or expat that’s there to show you around and be a friendly face.
There are so many other benefits to traveling solo, but these are some of our teams favorites. If you’re feeling brave and ready to book your first (or next) solo trip, we’re here to help. You can choose from our cities below or reach out to [email protected] with any questions! Look forward to seeing you out there!